Wednesday 22 February 2012

A Bit of Progress - Tischband

I'm back!  Had a lovely holiday and some time to tat on the plane.  I hope I will be forgiven but I added a stitch on the chain for the flowers (so 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, and 18) - it just wasn't sitting right for me.

This is the Tat Along Challenge from Umi & Tsuru's Blog.

But those leaves...  they can be a bit confusing!  I still couldn't understand the "picot, then turn" at the bottom of the leaf at the beginning and I ended up using a paperclip and making a picot on the core thread with a lock stitch before continuing the chain instead of "turning" as indicated in the pattern.  I kept looking at the instructions and at the pictures and couldn't figure out how to do it without the chain twisting if I followed the directions.

I think making the tip the way I described forms a nice point to the leaf.
In fact, if you do it that way, I think you don't even need 
the picot at the tip and it looks ok.
What do you think?

But if someone wants to put me right on how to do that tip
according to the directions - I'd love to know!

Leaf is Motif no.10


You really have to pay attention when you are making the leaf:  out of three leaves I've attempted, I've only one to show for!  I found it easy to get lost in the chain count and also easy to attach the leaves and the flowers in the wrong place!  Had to throw away two flowers for the same reason.


Hopefully I'll get there eventually.  I've enjoyed watching other people's progress with this pattern.

Best wishes,

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back.

    Your tatting is impeccable! I can see where i went wrong by looking at your leaf. i was trying to get the stitches to turn outward at the tip, not inward as yours do.

    Of course, I dashed through the pattern - as always tatting too fast to see what would happen at the end. And the haste shows, I 'm afraid! I have to s-l-o-w down and pay more attention to each stitch. That is my challenge. Your work reminds me to get back on course!

    It is going to be a beautiful piece - can't wait to see it finished.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great to me and wonderful colors too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO glad to know that I am not the only one having issues with the leaf. I was feeling so dumb! Your leaf looks great, but I am going to pay close attention when I actually get to the attaching part :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear... do I dare try the leaf? Yes! I will. I hope I understand what to do! Your leaf is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely tatting! I have these patterns saved to tat one day. Yours look fab in those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color combination you've chosen! They complement each other beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you've done a beautiful job! They are very nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely, and your colours are lovely.
    Well done,
    I have not had time to start it yet but hopefully will get time next week
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!